Friday, August 12, 2016

North Cascade Head

In 2015, I discovered a BLOY nest area previously unknown, south of Refusal Rock, north of Hart's Cove. 2 eggs were laid but the birds were not faithful at setting, once leaving the eggs for over an hour. On my next visit, the eggs were gone.

Johnny took this photo through the scope on May 15, 2015, from Lot 12, South Beach, Neskowin, looking south toward the nest rock outcropping

photo taken with my Panasonic
 The following photos were all taken in March 2015 when I first found the site. It was occupied by 2 BLOY.






On May 15, we found 2 eggs after the birds returned, copulated, and one walked over to incubate the eggs. The green bough right center had been hiding the eggs from our view.


In 2016, the birds copulated on 5/6 but I do not know if they laid eggs. When I visited the site on 5/17, a Turkey Vulture was sitting above the nest area... no BLOY. I assumed they did not nest and did not recheck until 8/16


8/16: no BLOY or sign of nesting. Lots of gull splats.




I also scanned other rocks in that cove, south of the nest rock

Part of nest rock lower right corner. Islands visible are all tidal. Cove is in distance with two higher rocks protruding, pictured up close below


In 2017, no BLOY were seen on or near the nest rock during the May survey or after. Ditto for 2018.

North Cascade Head Nest Summary

2015 2 eggs, failed
2016 no nest known
2017 no nest known
2018 no nest
2019 not surveyed so unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment