Wednesday, April 28, 2021

2021 Road's End Revisited

 A minus tide (-1.4) at 8:30 a.m. had me doing barn chores very early so I could get to Road's End. (It's a 45 minute drive from our farm.) I entered the cove at 7:50 a.m, after scrambling over boulders below the cliff... not much of an improvement over last week's boulder scramble higher up. Only a few people were in the cove when I arrived but by the time I left there were many... a decided down side to a minus tide.


South Rock left, Boot Rock in center, part of Middle Rock on right behind cliff

Middle Rock

BLOY guard post on Middle Rock

BLOY visible on Middle Rock guard post


At 8:07 it called and flew south and appeared at 8:12 on a foraging rock at the South foot of Boot Rock (the rock north of South Rock).




  However a Canada Goose flew over calling from the north and landed on top of South Rock. The BLOY called and flew back up to its Middle Rock guard post.

 



South Rock left with goose , Boot Rock Center, Middle Rock partly visible right

Goose on South Rock (The rock in front is an adjunct of South Rock that is surrounded by water except at low tides. South Rock usually has a stream of water separating it from the beach, but not always.)


 The guard BLOY was preening as I left shortly before 9. Lots of people in the cove then. The goose had settled down to stay when I left. If the South BLOY were anywhere around, I think they would have kept hidden while the goose was present. But I did not see them before the goose arrived either.




 

It was frustrating not to see a nest exchange on Middle Rock. I could not see any more at this minus tide than I did at last week's low tide, so I think the best thing to do is go in at a low tide and stay as long as possible. Fewer people there then, too, although the one visible BLOY seemed not concerned about little people on the beach far below.

I considered hiking in on the trail past The Knoll but I see they have moved the parking area another almost half a mile farther. So I am very grateful to Halle for monitoring from The Thumb!


No comments:

Post a Comment